We are seeking people with the following essential competencies and qualities:
* respect for the views of others
* free of influence/no conflict of interest other than the best interests of VHA (eg not an employee, contractor or client of VHA, or an immediate family member of an employee, contractor, client or another director of VHA;
* an understanding of the range of obligations and constraints imposed upon individual Directors and the Board, and the difference between governance and management
* enthusiasm and capacity for critical thinking and conflict resolution
* sensitivity to Ottawa's diverse cultural and linguistic environment
* the ability to participate and communicate effectively with others; and
* personal and professional integrity, wisdom and judgement.
At this time, Directors that possess the following would strengthen the Board:
1. specific skills and expertise in:
* Social Work / social service experience
* clinical care (eg nursing, primary care)
* housing / property management
* risk management
* strategic planning, business and management.
2. Basic understanding of:
* local healthcare needs, issues and trends
* financial and legal matters.