Shelter Movers Ottawa has been operational since 2017 and has completed over 500 moves to date. We are growing and looking to add compassionate and committed volunteers to our team.
We at Shelter Movers continue to operate and provide our unique moving and storage services for our clients. We have implemented stringent safety measures in place to protect our volunteers, partners, and clients. While we all do our part to slow the spread of COVID-19 and stay home, we must remember that home is not a safe place for many. Those experiencing abuse may have to spend more time with their abuser in an unsafe, confined space as well as potentially losing their job and the financial independence that comes with it. There have been published articles that highlight mandatory social distancing measures that place individuals experiencing abuse at a greater risk than pre-pandemic, highlighting the importance of services like Shelter Movers.
As an integral role in the Volunteer Services administrative team of Shelter Movers Ottawa, the Volunteer Services Engagement Coordinator is mainly accountable for developing, implementing retention strategies, and providing support to the Volunteer Services Manager. The goal of this position is to enhance the engagement and retention of our volunteer team.
- Under the direction of the National Volunteer Services, develop and implement retention strategies, and continuously improve the engagement and experience of volunteers;
- Engage in the production and publication of Shelter Mover Ottawa monthly newsletter, collaborating with other teams. Using Mailchimp to organize, design and distribute the newsletter
- Ensure the profiles of volunteers and database are up-to-date, maintain the mailing list and the subscription status, as well as Manage the mailbox of the Volunteer Service Engagement team;
- Follow up with inactive volunteers, offering solutions to improve the involvement if needed;
- Lead the development and execution of volunteer events, making sure that they align and support the highest purpose, which is enhancing the engagement of volunteers. Some examples of events include trivia night, movie nights, panel discussions;
- Actively support the involvement of volunteers, promptly identify and proactively oversee their issues in terms of participation, then report to the Volunteer Services Manager in order to come up with optimal solutions;
- Regularly update the working progress with the Volunteer Services Manager.
What we are looking for
- A time commitment of at least 3 hours per week and a desire to engage with the team and Shelter Movers Ottawa in long term;
- Ability to apply an anti-oppressive lens to engaging volunteers;
- A long-term interest in the Violence Against Women (VAW) sector, and Volunteer Management/Non-Profit Management;
- Awareness of appropriate boundaries, compassion fatigue, and self-care;
- Be able to maintain the confidentiality of client and organizational information;
- Self-motivated person who upholds a positive vibe and can-do attitude;
- Strong organizational skills with a detailed-oriented mind and reliable work habits;
- Tact, discretion, high maturity level and good judgement;
- An active listener who possesses excellent interpersonal skills, high degree of emotional intelligence, and is able to handle difficult conversations with great patience;
- A team player who can also work independently
- A background in volunteer management, or human resources is an asset;
- Previous experience in volunteer engagement and/or event planning are considered as a strong asset.
* A successful candidate of Shelter Movers must be at least 18 years of age, sign a confidentiality agreement, pass a police reference check, and attend a Trauma-Informed Care Orientation session. As well as additional training for the Volunteer Engagement Role.
* Please note that this is an unpaid volunteer position.
*Does this speak to you? Then please send your resume as well as a brief description outlining your interest to Brenna at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are eager to hear from you!