Parkinson Canada is the national voice of Canadians living with Parkinson’s disease. From diagnosis to discovery, we guide the way for Canadians to live well with Parkinson’s disease through education, advocacy and support services. Our National Research Program funds innovative research to search for better treatments and a cure. A national registered charity, Parkinson Canada fulfills its mission through the generosity of donors and is an accredited organization under the Imagine Canada Standards Program.
We are looking for a volunteer(s) to facilitate the monthly Living with Parkinson's Support Group in Ottawa, Ontario. The group will meet once a month for two hours.
To provide education and support at monthly group meetings to persons with Parkinson’s, members of their families, and/or their caregivers in dealing with the challenges of living with the condition. To encourage group members to share experiences, ideas and feelings, address challenges, develop supportive friendships and receive current information about Parkinson’s disease.
Duties include: facilitate monthly support group, including planning, set-up, refreshments and speakers.
• Experience in facilitation of support groups or meetings an asset
• Comfort and ability to discuss issues regarding Parkinson’s
• Active listening and communication skills
• Sensitivity and compassion
• Ability to model respect for diversity
• Background in nursing, social work, physiotherapy, speech language pathology, and/or other medical aspect of Parkinson’s disease an asset
• 3-5 hours per month, (includes two hour meeting and one hour preparation time) for a minimum of one year
• Training will be provided
Active seniors are welcome! If you are interested in joining a team that makes a tremendous difference in the lives of Canadians living with Parkinson’s, please contact Krista Duncan at firstname.lastname@example.org