Abbeyfield Houses Society of Ottawa is a not-for-profit seniors’ residence affiliated with Abbeyfield International, with 1,100 houses in 25 countries worldwide.
Abbeyfield House Parkdale is looking for a Legal Director. The Director of Legal is responsible for all matters of a legal nature that concern Abbeyfield Ottawa, for ex. review of its insurance policies and contracts. The Director of Legal is not counsel to the Board and provides only legal information, not legal advice.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the annual renewal process for property and directors’ liability insurance policies;
- Respond to legal questions from the Board concerning Abbeyfield Ottawa as they arise;
- Assist in the development and review of contracts, policies and agreements concerning Abbeyfield Ottawa, as requested;
- Keep up to date on developments in the field of non-profit law, and inform the Board of these developments as necessary.
- Attend monthly meetings and present a report to the Board;
- Keep records of all policies, contracts and agreements.
A degree in law (i.e., JD or LLB);
Call to the Bar of Ontario or of another province is preferred;
Experience in corporate and/or non-profit law;
Good research skills;
Strong written and oral communications skills.
Estimated Time Commitment:
20 hours per month