Aboriginals (First Nation, Metis, Inuit); Visible Minorities or New Canadians; Disadvantaged; LGBTTQ; Men; People with disabilities or medical conditions; Youth (16-18 years); Youth (11-15 years); Children (0-10 years); Animals; Seniors; Women; Youth (19-24 years); Homeless; Athletes
We are all about New Beginnings.
Helping with Furniture (HWF) is a volunteer-run charitable organization providing gently used furniture and household items for those in the Ottawa area who are restarting their lives because of situations of hardship. Our goal is to help residents start a new life by providing both basic necessities and the comforts of a real home - at a time when those comforts are needed most.
Twice a week, a group of volunteers picks up gently used furniture and household items from private donors and delivers to those in need who lack the basics necessary to establish a home. We get referrals from more than 50 social agencies and organizations throughout Ottawa and work with them to assist their clients. Without this help, individuals and families go without a place to sit or eat, without dishes or a bed, some for many months at a time.
HWF is a registered charity, not affiliated with any religious or political group and the only organization in Ottawa that helps those in need to furnish their homes free of charge. For these reasons, we are the choice of referral agencies and, sadly, we always have a waiting list.
HWF is seeking candidates for the position of Client Visitor.
Individuals or families in need of furniture (clients) are referred to HWF by a wide range of social agencies in the Ottawa area. Before receiving assistance from HWF clients are visited at home by a team of two visitors who make a complete list of their needs.
Visitors must be bilingual, have experience with Excel, have their own transportation and experience and personal skills to work with the disadvantaged people.
This is a very good role to perform as a couple/pair.
Maintaining and organising the furniture inventory at the warehouse by:
• Sorting and organising donated furniture by type;
• Ensuring easy access to the furniture;
• Keeping the furniture inventory is organised and;
• Making the warehouse safe for volunteers.
Conducting minor repairs to furniture as required would be an asset.
• Sorting through donated bed frames and bed related items;
• Verifying bed frames to ensure that all parts are included;
• Selecting bed frames for deliveries and;
• Keeping the bed frame inventory organised.
Minor repairs to bed frames as required and it possible.
The time commitment is very flexible and can be agreed with the other team members.
HWF is looking to recruit a volunteer furniture selector. This will be a new role at HWF and is being created in order to speed up the organisation of the deliveries to HWF clients on Wednesday evenings. This person will be responsible to pre-select the furniture for clients at the HWF warehouse in advance of the Wednesday night deliveries. We are looking for someone who is creative and has an eye for details. We don’t always have all of the items a client requires, but we do try to ensure what they receive looks nice together and is in good working order, so this position will have an important role in serving the HWF clients.
There are several options available for the day and time required for this job, for example Wednesdays in the late afternoon or early evening, which can be discussed and agreed.
Training through pairing with an experienced volunteer will be provided for the first couple of weeks.
Location: 5350 Canotek Rd Unit 9, Gloucester, ON K1J 9C9
Helping with Furniture is in need of movers to help deliver furniture and household items to new members of our community as well as community members starting over. Movers help with the pick-up of donations, the sorting items at the warehouse and the delivery to families and individuals on Wednesday nights and Saturday mornings.
Location: 5350 Canotek Rd Unit 9, Gloucester, ON K1J 9C9
• Sort through received donations;
• Place what is useful for families in designatedstorage area(s);
• Set aside items suitable for other HWF areas, for resale or for disposal;
• Test battery operated and electric items to ensure they work
• light cleaning of items if soiled;
• Keep storage area organized;
• Select and pack items for each family or individual receiving a delivery, using a list of needs as provided by the Visitors Team and;
• Label packed boxes or bags with the name of the family clearly identified as per the list from the Visitors Team (often the first name).
Note: Not all tasks will be required for each shift. Sorting and packing are usually done on separate shifts. Sorting is done in the days after donations are received, and packing is then done in the days before deliveries are made.
Skills, experience and qualifications required:
• Physically able to lift boxes and heavy small items;
• Able to work independently or in small teams;
• Attention to detail;
• Exercise judgement considering the needs of different ages, and considering the suitability of donated items;
• Able to use and have access to a computer and;
• Able to co-ordinate and communicate with other HWF volunteers.
• Respect for all HWF procedures and safety measures;
• Completion of Waiver and Sign-Up sheet before first shift;
• Able to travel to and work at the HWF warehouse and;
• Meet weekly timelines.
• One shift every 2 to 3 weeks for 2 to 4 hours (depending on the number of families and number of volunteers and;
• Training received in orientation and working paired with experienced volunteer.
Note: The time to complete the work is arranged within the team. No specific time is set to perform duties. However, items must be packed and ready for the Wednesday night deliveries.
Helping With Furniture is looking for a Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator. This is an important role within the team of volunteers as volunteer recruitment is crucial to our operations. We need an outgoing and active member to join our team asap. This person would ideally be able to speak and write in both English and French and other languages would be an asset .
The specific tasks of this position are:
1. manage the volunteer email to ensure potential volunteers are responded to and matched with the volunteer team leads in a timely manner, including keeping a roster of the movers, which is our largest group of volunteers.
2. post advertisements on volunteer sites and to find new sites and ways to advertise volunteer positions. Currently other team members are responsible for the social media but there is scope here for this position to lead on this if this is an area of interest.
3. work with the volunteer team leads as well as the President and Vice President to develop advertisements and job descriptions for volunteer positions.