Organization: Matthew House Ottawa: Refugee Services & Furniture Bank
Commitment: Ongoing more than a year
Availability: Weekends; Flexible; Evenings; Days
Language Preference: English
Number of Positions Available: 1
Location: Ottawa - West
Deadline: Jun 16, 2017
DescriptionThe Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for recruiting, screening, scheduling and training volunteers. The Volunteer Coordinator will gain valuable human resources experience while providing an important service to Matthew House Ottawa: Furniture Bank. This volunteer role has flexible hours but some daytime availability is required to meet with potential volunteers and to complete orientation and training sessions. Regular hours of operation are Mondays 10am to 4pm, Wednesdays 12pm to 4pm, Fridays 12pm to 4pm and every 2nd Saturday of the month 10am to 2pm. Much of the work can be done from home; however, interviewing, orientation and training must be completed at the warehouse during regular hours of operation.
A computer and internet access is required. Knowledge of Google Applications would be beneficial; however, intermediate knowledge of spreadsheets, word processing software and email and calendar applications is a must. This role requires someone with intermediate English reading, writing, speaking and comprehension capabilities. French or any other languages would be an asset. This role requires someone who is dedicated, hard working and personable. Someone who has a few hours a day to dedicate to this role would be ideal.
The Volunteer Coordinator role includes but is not limited to:
● Conducting all volunteer recruiting, orientations and scheduling;
● Contacting volunteers to confirm their availability or remind them of upcoming shifts or meetings;
● Creating monthly schedules through use of a spreadsheet and inputting information into Google Calendar;
● Maintaining firstname.lastname@example.org email box;
● Sending out emails when requested by the Program Director;
● Advising the Program Director of any absentee volunteers;
● Maintaining the Volunteer2 database, the Active Volunteer Contact List spreadsheet and the MHO: FB Orientation Manual;
● Promoting volunteering with MHO: FB within the community at job fairs, schools, community centers, etc.
● Keeping up to date with legislation and policy related to volunteering and making any necessary recommendations and modifications to accommodate changes; and
● Advertising and managing volunteer postings through on-line recruiting tools e.g. Kijiji, Volunteer Ottawa, etc.
Good for people interested in: Administration/Office; Communications & Marketing; Event planning & participation
You will be working with: Aboriginals (First Nation, Metis, Inuit); Visible Minorities or New Canadians; Disadvantaged; LGBTTQ; Men; People with disabilities or medical conditions; Youth (16-18 years); Youth (11-15 years); Children (0-10 years); Seniors; Women; Youth (19-24 years); Homeless
How will this volunteer opportunity benefit you?
The Volunteer Coordinator will gain valuable human resources, volunteer management and scheduling experience. Over time the Volunteer Coordinator will develop a network of volunteer management contacts within the community.
How will the organization benefit?
This role is essential to managing Matthew House Ottawa: Furniture Bank's recruitment efforts.
Organization category: Development and housing
Time it will take to contact applicants - 1-6 days
This position would be great for - Seniors; Youth 16-24
Public transportation available: Yes
Police record check required: Yes