Camp Cambria Camp Counsellor
Organization: The Arthritis Society
Commitment: Short term less than 6 months
Availability: Weekends; Flexible; Evenings; Days
Language Preference: English
Number of Positions Available: 28
Deadline: Apr 2, 2018
DescriptionVolunteer Camp Counsellor (Minimum Age of 21)
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Arthritis Society is recruiting for dedicated, caring and enthusiastic CAMP COUNSELLORS to volunteer at Camp Cambria, a camp for children living with arthritis, from August 19, 2018 to August 25, 2018 inclusive (pre-training required).
Location: Camp Kodiak (Host Camp) Located North of Perry Sound in McKellar, ON
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
▪ Lead campers aged 7 to 17 years of age, who are suffering with arthritis, some of whom have been newly diagnosed.
▪ Share in regular cabin responsibilities with a co-counsellor, including overnight and daily routine supervision. ▪ Ensure campers safety and well-being, and make their Camp Cambria experience as fun and rewarding as possible.
▪ Assist camper’s transition to camp, dealing with difficult emotions such as homesickness, peer-related issues and program issues.
▪ Ensure campers are using their ‘rest period’ to recharge and have heat/ice as needed.
▪ Assist in the implementation of daily activities.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
▪ Comprehensive understanding of the implications of living with arthritis, gained by living with arthritis and/or working/volunteering with people living with arthritis and / or chronic pain.
▪ Valid CPR/First aid training certification.
▪ Satisfactory completion of Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Verification
▪ Previous experience working with children in a camp and/or education setting
▪ Passion for working with children of all ages.
▪ Excellent leadership skills, teamwork and communication skills.
▪ Must be available to work in camp setting, inclusive of cabin lodgment and available 24 hours a day with scheduled breaks.
If you are interested in and qualify for this exciting opportunity, please visit http://campcambria.campbrainstaff.com.
For more information, please contact Christine Bilsky, Education Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-979-7228 Ext. 3535.
Good for people interested in: Health Care; Mentoring
You will be working with: Youth (11-15 years); Children (0-10 years)
How will this volunteer opportunity benefit you?
▪ Give back to the community and impact those living with arthritis
▪ Use specialized skills and talents while contributing to The Society’s mission
▪ Enhance and learn new skills
▪ Build connections and be part of a community
Organization category: Health
Time it will take to contact applicants - 2-3 weeks
This position would be great for - None of the above
Vulnerable sector check required: Yes
Police record check required: Yes