2018 Walk for Dementia Volunteer Coordinator
Organization: Dementia Society of Ottawa and Renfrew County
Commitment: Short term less than 6 months
Availability: Weekends; Flexible; Evenings; Days
Language Preference: English
Number of Positions Available: 1
Location: Ottawa - Central
Deadline: Mar 5, 2018
Working in collaboration with the Walk for Dementia Committee, the Volunteer Coordinator will promote and publicize the Walk for Dementia in the Community. This position reports to the Manager of Community Engagement, and will take an active role on the Walk for Dementia Planning Committee.
Time Commitment: Current Date – May 31st 2018, 3-5 hours per week
Responsibilities and Duties
• Attend monthly Planning Committee meetings; Meetings are by-weekly in month before Walk
• Working with the Manager of Community Engagement, develop a plan for volunteer recruitment
• Work with committee members to determine volunteer needs for the day of the event
• Work with other committee members to ensure appropriate orientation for day-of volunteers
• Ensure all volunteers are adequately supervised in their assigned area on the day of the Walk
• Set up volunteer check in station on the day and ensure all volunteer hours are tracked and recorded
• Make sure all volunteers are thanked during and after the Walk
Requirements, Qualifications and Skills
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
• Volunteer management experience desirable and/or extensive experience as a volunteer
• Able to work independently and as part of a team
• Good organizational skills
• Able to complete work at home, and correspond regularly with Walk for Dementia Staff via email and phone
Good for people interested in: Fundraising; Event planning and participation; Special events and festivals
You will be working with: Seniors
How will this volunteer opportunity benefit you?
Networking, build new relationships, team building & leadership, and most of all.... an opportunity to have FUN!!
How will the organization benefit?
The Walk for Dementia expects over 1,000 walkers to help raise $300,000 in 2018. Proceeds of the event are used to provide support, education and resources for people in Ottawa and Renfrew County who are living with dementia and their caregivers.
Organization category: Social services
Time it will take to contact applicants - 1 week
This position would be great for - New Canadians; Seniors; Youth 16-24; Groups