2019 Walk for Dementia Parking/Barricade Coordinator
Organization: Dementia Society of Ottawa and Renfrew County
Commitment: Short term less than 6 months
Availability: Weekends; Flexible; Evenings; Days
Language Preference: English
Number of Positions Available: 2
Location: Ottawa - Central
Deadline: Jan 30, 2019
DescriptionLead Role: Parking/Barricade Coordinator
Saturday, May 11, 2019 (Mother’s Day weekend) at Tunney’s Pasture, Ottawa
In collaboration with the Walk Committee, reporting to the Logistics Coordinator, the Parking/Barricade Coordinators are responsible to lead a team of Parking/Barricade Marshals in setting up, monitoring, and taking down the barricades.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• Attend Committee meetings as required.
• Supervise prompt set up of ALL barricades early morning the day of the walk.
• Create roster and schedule for all parking and barricade volunteers.
• Ensure marshals are monitoring the barricades in the route area to be sure it is clear and safe for Walk participants as well as cheering them on as they walk by.
• Ensure barricade monitors are guarding barricades to ensure no unauthorized persons or vehicles enter the Walk area.
• Help direct Walk participants to parking areas and traffic control in parking areas.
• Ensure traffic control to parking lots and into parking spaces and direct any vehicles that require accessible parking.
• Ensure areas are kept neat and free of all litter.
• Ensure monitors are providing a high level of customer service in dealing with Walkers, volunteers, staff and sponsors.
Requirements, Qualifications and Skills
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Able to work independently and as part of a team.
• Organized and detail-oriented.
Good for people interested in: Fundraising; Event planning and participation; Arts, Crafts and Photography
You will be working with: Seniors
How will this volunteer opportunity benefit you?
Networking, build new relationships, team building & leadership, and most of all.... an opportunity to have FUN!!
How will the organization benefit?
The Walk for Dementia is The Dementia Society of Ottawa and Renfrew County’s signature fundraising event held each May and it has been growing and evolving for over 20 years. The event features a Special Memory Tribute, an Exhibitor Alley, a Family Zone and accessible 1km and 2km walking routes. The Walk for Dementia is a wonderful way to support and pay tribute to caregivers and families in Ottawa and Renfrew County impacted by dementia.
Organization category: Social services
Time it will take to contact applicants - 1 week
This position would be great for - New Canadians; Seniors; Youth 16-24; Groups