Organization: Suits His Style
Commitment: Long term (6 months to a year)
Language Preference: Bilingual
Number of Positions Available: 10
Location: Ottawa - Central
Deadline: Jun 30, 2019
DescriptionSuiting volunteers are the face of Suits His Style and are the volunteers who interact directly with our clients to provide them with the clothing they need. A typical client meeting involves the following:
• Discuss and assess client needs and clothing preferences.
• Search inventory for clothing options (suits, shirts, ties, shoes, etc) that are clean, fit well and appropriate for their individual needs.
• Provide recommendations to clients who are unsure about what they want and/or need for their individual circumstances.
• Discuss or demonstrate basic rules of menswear including how garments should fit, how to coordinate a shirt and a tie, matching belt and shoe colour, how to tie a tie, etc.
• Help clients pull an entire outfit together to demonstrate how their chosen garments look together and to boost clients’ self-esteem.
• Person of good character who is friendly, responsible, reliable and punctual.
• Motivated to make a change in the community and positively impact men’s lives.
• Solid grasp of basic menswear rules, trends and standards.
• Understanding of appropriate interview and work place attire.
• Good communication skills and able to relate to people from diverse backgrounds to make them feel at ease with utilizing Suits His Style services.
• Ability to work as a member of a team as Suiting Volunteers are most often paired with a partner.
Desired Assets (not required):
• Bilingualism; English and French. Please note any other languages
• Past retail experience, particularly in men’s formal retail.
We typically ask our suiting volunteers to commit to conducting appointments for 3 hours per week (3 appointments of one hour each) however we are willing to work with volunteers to find an arrangement that works best for them. We are also flexible when it comes to vacation and other personal commitments. If needed, SHS is able to validate volunteer hours for official reporting purposes.
Good for people interested in: Retail; Teaching/Tutoring
You will be working with: Visible Minorities or New Canadians; Disadvantaged; Men; People with disabilities or medical conditions; Youth (16-18 years); Youth (19-24 years)
How will this volunteer opportunity benefit you?
• A chance to give back to community and volunteer for an exceptional organization that aims to decrease poverty in Ottawa;
• Networking and professional growth;
• Experience to build your resume and portfolio.
Organization category: Social services
Time it will take to contact applicants - 1 week
This position would be great for - None of the above
Public transportation available: Yes
Suitable for community service hours: Yes