Art Program Host Volunteer
Organization: Dementia Society of Ottawa and Renfrew County
Commitment: Short term (less than 6 months)
Language Preference: English
Number of Positions Available: 1
Location: Ottawa - Central
Deadline: Jul 31, 2019
DescriptionArt programs have the capacity to tap into creative parts of the brain and unleash memories and joy. Some people living with dementia may not be able to speak, but they can paint – and the painting may allow them to connect to other memories.
• Sessions are held weekdays, once per week over an eight week period
• Sessions to take place Wednesday mornings 10:30-12:00, with the volunteer to arrive half an hour early for setup purposes (10:00-12:00)
• Sessions may take place either indoors or outdoors
The arts program volunteers are responsible for the running the program in a manner which is safe, supportive and aligned with The Dementia Society’s mission and values.
Primary Responsibilities and Tasks
The Arts Program volunteer will be responsible for the following:
• Room preparation including light lifting of tables, chairs, and arts supplies for up to 12 people living with dementia and their caregivers, and preparation of arts supplies
• Greet people has they arrive and assist them getting settled in the arts space, initiate introductions between participants
• Float in room throughout session, interacting with participants and assisting people with their painting, supplies, or questions as necessary
• Arrange for a brief midway break, offering water and ensuring comfort level of participants
• Following session, clean and store arts supplies and materials, put away tables/chairs and wash dishes as necessary, and leave space in tidy condition for next session
• Take direction from instructor as required
Qualifications and Skills:
• Proficiency in English and/or French
• Excellent listening and communication skills
• Comfortable with small groups
• Ability to work independently with little supervision
• Ability to engage in conversation
• Teaching/training delivery experience (desired)
• Understanding of dementia and the daily living challenges persons with dementia (PWD)s face
• Experience as a caregiver of a person with dementia (desired)
• Enjoys art and painting (desired)
Successful applicants will submit a volunteer application form and provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Police Record check. An interview and reference checks will be conducted as part of the application process with the Volunteer Coordinator.
Successful applicants will be provided with Orientation Training in addition to role-specific training from their supervisor.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their CV and a cover letter describing their interest to email@example.com.
Good for people interested in: Event planning and participation; Arts, Crafts and Photography
You will be working with: People with disabilities or medical conditions; Seniors
How will this volunteer opportunity benefit you?
This position provides the opportunity for volunteers to learn about connections between art and the mind, support people living with dementia in a compassionate and creative environment, and promote the DSORC mission of helping people in our communities impacted by dementia.
How will the organization benefit?
Volunteers strengthen the DSORC organization by allowing us to continue to offering programs, guidance, and support that meet the needs of the communities we serve.
Organization category: Health
Time it will take to contact applicants - 1-6 days
This position would be great for - None of the above
Public transportation available: Yes
Vulnerable sector check required: Yes