Caregiver Support Group Co-Facilitator
Organization: Dementia Society of Ottawa and Renfrew County
Commitment: Long term (6 months to a year)
Language Preference: English
Number of Positions Available: 1
Location: Ottawa - West
Deadline: Sep 13, 2019
DescriptionThe Dementia Society of Ottawa and Renfrew County (DSORC) is currently seeking a Co-Facilitator Volunteer with our Rural Ottawa South Support Group in Manotick.
The Caregiver Support Group Facilitator is expected to support the DSORC mission to alleviate the personal and social consequences of living with dementia by providing a safe and welcoming environment for caregivers’ discussion and support.
Primary Role and Responsibilities:
• Facilitate group discussion
• Inform the participants about the objectives and ground rules for the group
• Empower participants by discussing the important role they play for themselves and each other
• Support inclusion of participants through invitation and inclusion and by providing a safe and comfortable environment
• Initiate, clarify and summarize discussions as required
• Harmonize to reduce tension and encourage participants to explore differences
• Maintain confidentiality at all times regarding participant information and experiences
• Set up room and coordinate logistics
• Complete support group report including attendance and debrief with staff lead
Qualifications and Skills:
• Proficiency in English and/or French
• Experience as a caregiver to a person living with dementia required
• Understanding and knowledge of the lived experience of dementia required
• Excellent communication skills and experience in group facilitation
• Respect for diversity, cultural awareness, and sensitivity
• Effective listening skills, empathy, and adaptability
• Ability to work collaboratively with co-facilitator and supervisor and take initiative
• Reliability and professionalism
• Respect for the boundaries of the position and participant confidentiality
• Education in the social sciences is an asset
Successful applicants will submit a volunteer application form and provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Police Record check. An interview and reference checks will be conducted as part of the application process.
Position suitability evaluation and approval will be conducted by supervisory staff after completion of the volunteer application process with the Volunteer Coordinator. This evaluation period extends throughout training/mentorship prior to final approval of volunteer assignment.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their CV and a cover letter describing their interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Good for people interested in: Mediation and Facilitation; Counselling
You will be working with: Visible Minorities or New Canadians; Men; People with disabilities or medical conditions; Seniors; Women
How will this volunteer opportunity benefit you?
This volunteer co-facilitator position is an excellent opportunity to increase your knowledge of dementia and understanding of DSORC programs and services, while establishing positive relationships and helping members of the community.
How will the organization benefit?
Volunteers strengthen the DSORC organization by offering unique perspectives and skills from a wide range of communities and backgrounds. Our volunteers allow us to continue to offering programs, guidance, and support that meet the needs of the communities we serve.
Organization category: Health
Time it will take to contact applicants - 1 week
This position would be great for - None of the above
Vulnerable sector check required: Yes