Market Mobile Volunteer
Organization: Carlington Community Health Centre
Commitment: Short term (less than 6 months)
Language Preference: Bilingual
Number of Positions Available: 1
Location: Ottawa - West
Deadline: Oct 15, 2019
DescriptionDays and Time: Thursday, 5-6pm
Commitment: 3 month minimum
Volunteer will report to: Health Promoter
Description of Program:
The Mobile Market is a community initiative which allows low income area residents access to affordable and healthy food. Fresh produce is available on a bus and residents have the opportunity to choose what produce they are interested in. They then pay for their produce at the end of their tour on the bus.
Description of Volunteer Role:
- Volunteer will help other volunteers to display produce and to keep the area clean.
- Volunteer will help pack up boxes and break down empty boxes for recycling.
- Volunteer will follow residents and record their produce picks on a receipt which then will be forwarded to person who is at the cash.
- Volunteer will calculate and provide change for purchases using a calculator.
- Friendly and reliable.
- Able to do simple math
- Able to stand and walk for extended periods of time even during inclement weather.
- Able to lift a maximum of 20 lbs.
- Good communication, English is essential, other languages are an asset.
- Client confidentiality is essential.
- Police Records Check required.
Good for people interested in: Food preparation and services; Retail; Health Care
You will be working with: Aboriginals (First Nation, Metis, Inuit); Visible Minorities or New Canadians; Disadvantaged; LGBTTQ; Seniors; Youth (19-24 years)
How will this volunteer opportunity benefit you?
Volunteer hours, connect with community, support people in accessing healthful food options at low cost.
Organization category: Health
Time it will take to contact applicants - 1-6 days
This position would be great for - New Canadians; Youth 16-24
Vulnerable sector check required: Yes
Police record check required: Yes