Treasurer - Ottawa Regional Science Fair
Organization: Ottawa Regional Science Fair
Commitment: Ongoing (more than a year)
Availability: Flexible; Evenings
Language Preference: English
Number of Positions Available: 1
Location: Ottawa - Central
Deadline: Nov 30, 2019
DescriptionWe are looking for a treasurer to join the Ottawa Regional Science Fair organizing committee. Ideally you, the candidate, has some experience in accounting or financial management. You should also be interested in working with young people who are coming to present their projects at our fair.
Our current treasurer is retiring after this year (June 2020) and is looking for someone to start shadowing him now in order to take over as treasurer after that.
Role of the treasurer
The treasurer is a member of the organizing committee responsible for financial reporting and has signing authority for banking and legal documents.
Responsibilities of the treasurer
- maintain proper books of account and keep them in safe custody
- prepare reports showing the financial position of the organization
- attend organizing committee meetings
- issue invoices, cheques and receipts
- receive and record all monies paid to the organization and ensure that they are deposited to the bank
- receive monthly bank statements
- ensure that records of all monetary transactions are reconciled with bank statements
- prepare and submit to Canada Revenue Agency the annual charitable information return (T3010) and a Directors/Trustees worksheet (T1235) to maintain status as a charitable organization
- liaise with organizing committee members responsible for fundraising efforts to track payments and collect monies owed
- ensure that the mailbox is emptied monthly or weekly during fair registration
- apply for HST/GST rebates from Canada Revenue Agency when applicable
- ensure that monies deposited to the Paypal account are transferred to the primary bank account
- attend or be represented by a delegate at the annual science fair
- be capable of being bonded in case that becomes required by any legislation or pertinent provincial directive
- coordinate interac e-transfers during student registration process
- manage transition from Excel spreadsheet reports to accounting software, and implement updates to software as needed
Good for people interested in: Event planning and participation; Special events and festivals; Accounting and finance
You will be working with: Youth (16-18 years); Youth (11-15 years)
How will this volunteer opportunity benefit you?
The treasurer will be part of a dynamic team of volunteers of about 20 people who organize the annual Ottawa Regional Science Fair. The best part is, no doubt, getting to meet all the amazing students who come to the fair and be a part of helping them present their research to compete for many awards.
The organizing committee typically meets in person about 5 times a year and the actual fair takes place in early April over a Friday and Saturday.
How will the organization benefit?
In order to deliver a well organized event we need a treasurer to keep our finances in order. Our budget is on the order of $30,000 a year.
Organization category: Education and research
Time it will take to contact applicants - 1-6 days
This position would be great for - New Canadians; Seniors; Persons with a disability
Public transportation available: Yes
This position can accommodate persons with a disability: Yes