SWAG (Students Will All Graduate) Mentor
Organization: Carlington Community Health Centre
Commitment: Long term (6 months to a year)
Availability: Evenings; Days
Language Preference: English
Number of Positions Available: 4
Location: Ottawa - West
Deadline: Dec 15, 2019
DescriptionTeam: Health Promotion and Counselling Team
Days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and/or Thursday
Time: 3:30 to 5:30 pm
Number of Volunteers Needed: 4
Commitment: Year-round (September 12, 2016 until end of June 2017)
Volunteer will report to: SWAG Coordinator
Goal of the program:
The SWAG program is intended to increase the high school graduation rate of students identified as most at risk of failing by providing volunteer Tutors who will help increase students' academic success in a supportive environment.
Description of Volunteer Role:
• Assist staff in implementing social recreation by helping with set up and take-down and by participating in activities.
• Help students improve skills such as life skills and goal setting.
• Provide encouragement, acceptance, motivation, and support to participants.
• Provide positive feedback and appropriate guidance to students.
• Volunteer mentors may be asked to participate in outings.
• Experience with older children / youth.
• Caring, patient, open-minded, non-judgmental, and excellent interpersonal skills
• Awareness of issues related to low-income families; sensitive to multicultural issues.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Reliable and dependable.
• Fluency in English required, fluency in French and additional languages pertinent to our client population an asset.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to obtain an appropriate Police Records Check.
Good for people interested in: Sports; Teaching/Tutoring; Health Care; Mentoring
You will be working with: Youth (16-18 years); Youth (11-15 years)
Organization category: Health
Time it will take to contact applicants - 1-6 days
This position would be great for - New Canadians; Seniors; Youth 16-24
Vulnerable sector check required: Yes
Police record check required: Yes