Nursery School Playtime Assistant - Afternoons
Organization: Carlington Community Health Centre
Commitment: Short term (less than 6 months)
Language Preference: English
Number of Positions Available: 4
Location: Ottawa - West
Deadline: Dec 15, 2019
DescriptionDays: Mondays to Fridays
Time: Afternoons, 2:30pm-5pm
Minimum Commitment: Three months
Volunteer will report to: Nursery School Staff
Goals of the program:
Annavale Nursery School is a full-day program for children ages of 2 to 4 years old designed to give each child a “Headstart” preparation for formal schooling and successful entry into kindergarten. The daily curriculum and activities build on each child’s strengths and interests.
Description of Volunteer Role:
• Model appropriate behaviours with children.
• Help prepare children during activity transitions and play with the children by engaging children in play and interacting with them in the appropriate manner.
• Promote listening skills and attention span, and promote language development by asking open-ended questions through interactions with the children.
• Assist staff with other activities with the children upon request.
• Ability to work in a challenging and high-energy environment with a team
• Demonstrated genuine interest in children and children’s activities. Knowledge of child development or experience working with children an asset.
• Good communication skills, ability to speak in English (other languages, such as Somali, French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, an asset)
• Caring, patient, non-judgmental, and understanding of children and children’s needs
• Punctual, reliable, and dependable.
• Sensitive to multicultural issues
• Sensitive to issues facing low-income population.
• Ability to work with children with special needs.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to obtain an appropriate Police Records Check.
• Ability to provide documentation of immunization records.
Good for people interested in: Teaching/Tutoring; Health Care; Counselling; Mentoring
You will be working with: Children (0-10 years)
How will this volunteer opportunity benefit you?
Volunteer hours, community engagement, childcare experience
Organization category: Health
Time it will take to contact applicants - 1-6 days
This position would be great for - New Canadians; Seniors; Youth 16-24
Vulnerable sector check required: Yes