Exercise Program Support - Let's Get Moving Orleans
Organization: Dementia Society of Ottawa and Renfrew County
Commitment: Short term (less than 6 months)
Language Preference: English
Number of Positions Available: 2
Location: Ottawa - East
Deadline: Jan 27, 2020
Weekly sessions Wednesdays 1:00 - 2:00 PM
January 22nd 2020 – April 22nd 2020
*plus early arrival/departure time to account for setup/cleanup
*attending general orientation and training as needed
The Dementia Society of Ottawa and Renfrew County (DSORC) is currently seeking 1-2 volunteers to support Let’s Get Moving Orleans. Let’s Get Moving volunteers assist with setup for the program in addition to active participation with the group.
Primary Role and Responsibilities:
• Assist with the set up and clean-up of fitness equipment, refreshments and activities for the program.
• Administrative support during sessions
o take attendance, collect registration forms, collect evaluations, etc.
• Provide one-on-one support to participants
• Participate in the physical activity with enthusiasm
• Assist with cleanup following the session
Qualifications and Skills:
• Enjoy working with others, comfortable initiating conversation and including others
• Experience working with persons with dementia and their care partners
• Professionalism and a positive disposition with excellent interpersonal skills
• Compassion, understanding and awareness of dementia
• Maintain a positive, supportive, and welcome environment learning
• Maintain confidentiality of all participants
• Reliability and punctuality
• Bilingualism in English and French is preferred
• Basic knowledge of DSORC programs and services (training provided)
• Accommodate participants with health and mobility challenges (as able)
Successful applicants will submit a volunteer application form and provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Police Record check. An interview and reference checks will be conducted as part of the application process with the Volunteer Coordinator.
Successful applicants will be provided with Orientation Training in addition to role-specific training from their supervisor.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their CV and a cover letter describing their interest to email@example.com
Good for people interested in: Event planning and participation
You will be working with: People with disabilities or medical conditions; Seniors
How will this volunteer opportunity benefit you?
Volunteers in this role will have the opportunity to engage and interact with participants while providing a welcoming environment, as well as increase or gain personal knowledge about physical and cognitive stimulations for people living with dementia.
How will the organization benefit?
Volunteers strengthen the DSORC organization by offering unique perspectives and skills from a wide range of communities and backgrounds. Our volunteers allow us to continue to offering programs, guidance, and support that meet the needs of the communities we serve.
Organization category: Health
Time it will take to contact applicants - 1-6 days
This position would be great for - None of the above
Vulnerable sector check required: Yes