EarlyON Outreach Volunteer
Organization: Carlington Community Health Centre
Commitment: Short term (less than 6 months)
Availability: Flexible; Days
Language Preference: English
Number of Positions Available: 1
Location: Ottawa - West
Deadline: Feb 22, 2020
Description Volunteer Position: EarlyOn Outreach Volunteer
Location: 900 Merivale Road
Team: Parent-Child & Youth Team
Days: Flexible – daytime preferred
Time: 3-4 hours/week
Minimum commitment: Approximately 12 weeks – March to May
Volunteer will report to: Nahla Lahleh
Goal of the position:
Part of a 10-12 week project, the volunteer will perform outreach duties for the purpose of improving awareness of and attendance to Carlington CHC EarlyOn programs.
Description of Volunteer Role:
• Research the Carlington catchment to identify parent-child related social trends.
• Identify locations which people with young children are likely to gather (churches, daycares, schools, community centres, children/baby stores, etc.).
• Identify promotional opportunities in locations.
• Travel to community sites in the Carlington catchment.
• Meet and speak with community partners, store/restaurant owners, church/mosque leaders, community centres personnel, to explain EarlyOn programs and secure permission to display promotional material in their facilities.
• Promote and raise awareness of Carlington CHC EarlyON programs and services.
• Prior outreach and research related experience preferred.
• Sound knowledge of Carlington community and EarlyOn programs.
• Comfortable performing outreach to community partners for promotion of EarlyOn flyers, posters, etc.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Forward thinking, creative, outgoing.
• Reliable and dependable.
• Excellent communication and public speaking skills, fluency in English required (additional languages, such as Somali, French, Spanish, Arabic, an asset).
• Sensitive to multicultural issues and issues facing low-income population.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to obtain an appropriate Police Records Check.
Good for people interested in: Communications and Marketing; Health Care; Public speaking (Speaking about value of volunteering)
You will be working with: Aboriginals (First Nation, Metis, Inuit); Visible Minorities or New Canadians; Disadvantaged; LGBTTQ; Men; People with disabilities or medical conditions; Youth (16-18 years); Youth (11-15 years); Children (0-10 years); Seniors; Women; Youth (19-24 years)
How will this volunteer opportunity benefit you?
Support the work of the centre
Support others in your community
Build new skills
Maintain skills you have
Learn from others
Get work experience
Practice language skills
Add experience to your resume
Share your time with others
Organization category: Health
Time it will take to contact applicants - 1-6 days
This position would be great for - Seniors; Youth 16-24
Vulnerable sector check required: Yes
Police record check required: Yes