Organization: Helping with Furniture
Commitment: Long term (6 months to a year)
Language Preference: Bilingual is an asset
Number of Positions Available: 2
Deadline: Apr 11, 2020
HWF "clients" (individuals or families in need of furniture) are referred to us by a wide range of social agencies in the Ottawa area. Their information is entered into a spreadsheet (the “intake list”), from which three or four clients are selected each week. Before receiving furniture, these clients are visited at home by a team of two HWF volunteers (the "visitors") who make a complete list of their needs and preferences with them.
The role of the "client-selection " volunteer is to select the clients who will be visited the following week and to communicate their selections to the visitors. This is a function that is best done from a private place like home and which requires availability and flexibility in scheduling your time.
We are looking for a resourceful, persistent, sensitive person for the position. You must be prepared to communicate with vulnerable clients and be able to converse in a manner to allow you to assess the client needs and be able to make decisions based on the information collected.
TASKS TO BE PERFORMED:
• Identifying, from the intake list, clients to be contacted, based on a set of priority criteria
• including the urgency of their needs, the size of family, the existence or not of support in
• Ottawa, and their location;
• contacting clients by phone and/or text messages to assess their current situation and furniture
• potentially following-up with clients more than once to reach them;
• On some occasions, reaching out to social workers in order to locate a client;
• Selecting three or four clients a week, taking into account criteria described above;
• Sending the clients' information to the visitors in an Excel spreadsheet.
To complete all these steps, you must be able to give between 3 to 5 hours over a few days.
• Must have a computer, an internet connection and a mobile phone (to send and receive text
• Must be able to converse in English and French, all other languages are an asset
• Must have good communication skills
• Must have flexibility and be available to be contacted back by clients who return calls and text
*Training and mentoring will be provided
Good for people interested in: Mediation and Facilitation; Communications and Marketing
You will be working with: Visible Minorities or New Canadians; Disadvantaged; Men; People with disabilities or medical conditions; Seniors; Women
How will this volunteer opportunity benefit you?
This is a very rewarding and key position within HWF. Not only does it open the door to discovering extraordinary people, whose realities are not always visible to most of us, but decisions made at this strategic level trickle down the organization and have an impact on all other activities of HWF.
Organization category: Social services
Time it will take to contact applicants - 1-6 days
This position would be great for - New Canadians; Seniors; Youth 16-24; Court ordered community service
Suitable for community service hours: Yes
Police record check required: Yes