Volunteer Services Engagement Coordinator
Organization: Shelter Movers Ottawa
Commitment: Long term (6 months to a year)
Availability: Weekends; Flexible; Evenings; Days
Language Preference: English
Number of Positions Available: 3
Deadline: Nov 30, 2020
DescriptionShelter Movers provides moving and storage services at no cost to women and children fleeing abuse. We are the only organization of our kind in Canada, and our volunteers are no less exceptional. Every year, in collaboration with community partners, our volunteer teams contribute over 15,000 hours to support people transitioning to lives free of violence and abuse.
Shelter Movers Ottawa has been operational since 2017 and has completed over 450 moves to date. We are growing and looking to add compassionate and committed volunteers to our team.
We at Shelter Movers continue to operate and provide our unique moving and storage services at this time. We have implemented stringent safety measures in place to protect our volunteers, partners, and clients. While we all do our part to slow the spread of COVID-19 and stay home, we must remember that home isn’t a safe place for many. Those experiencing abuse may have to spend more time with their abuser in an unsafe, confined space as well as potentially losing their job and the financial independence that comes with it. There have been published articles that highlight mandatory social distancing measures that place individuals experiencing abuse at a greater risk than pre-pandemic, highlighting the importance of services like Shelter Movers.
The Volunteer Services Engagement Coordinator will have an integral role in the Volunteer Services administrative team of Shelter Movers Ottawa. The focus of the role will be on volunteer retention and engagement in Ottawa.
- Assist with the development and implementation of volunteer engagement strategies
- Follow retention strategy developed by the National Volunteer Services team to keep volunteers engaged with Shelter Movers
- Plan and lead volunteer events with the goal of increasing volunteer engagement (examples of events include trivia night, movie nights, panel discussions)
- Improve volunteer involvement with the Shelter Movers
- Identify volunteer-related issues and reporting back to the Volunteer Services Manager and Assistant Volunteer Services Manager
- Have regular check-ins with the Volunteer Services Manager or the Assistant Volunteer Services Manager
- 3-5 hours/week ongoing
- This is an unpaid volunteer position
Essential skills & knowledge:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated and a positive, 'can-do' attitude
- High attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Tact, discretion, high maturity level and good judgement
- Reliable work habits and strong organizational skills.
- An interest in a wide variety of work in Volunteer Management
- High level of comfort with engaging the public at community events
- Ability to protect client and volunteer confidentiality
- Awareness of appropriate boundaries, compassion fatigue, and self-care
- Patience, empathy, emotional intelligence, active listening skills, and ability to handle difficult conversations
- Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to apply an anti-oppressive lens to engaging volunteers
- A long-term interest in the Violence Against Women (VAW) sector, and Volunteer Management/Non-Profit Management
- A background in volunteer management or human resources is an asset.
- Previous experience in volunteer engagement and event planning are strong assets.
Shelter Movers volunteers must be at least 18 years of age, complete an interview process, sign a confidentiality agreement, complete and pass a police reference check, and attend a Trauma-Informed Care Orientation session.
How to Apply:
If interested, please send a brief description outlining your interest as well as your resume to Brenna at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Good for people interested in: Event planning and participation; COVID-19 Light Touch Volunteering; Administration/Office; COVID-19 Virtual Volunteering
You will be working with: Aboriginals (First Nation, Metis, Inuit); Visible Minorities or New Canadians; Disadvantaged; LGBTTQ; Men; People with disabilities or medical conditions; Youth (16-18 years); Youth (11-15 years); Children (0-10 years); Seniors; Women; Youth (19-24 years); Homeless
How will this volunteer opportunity benefit you?
As a Volunteer Services Engagement Coordinator at Shelter Movers:
- You’ll have the opportunity to make a positive impact helping women and families transition away from violence and abuse
- You’ll gain experience in volunteer engagement and event planning, with coaching and support from an experienced professional in the field
- You’ll receive training in preparation for your role, and have access to ongoing training opportunities
- You’ll work with a great team of passionate volunteers and supporters
- After 3 months of satisfactory service, a confirmation of volunteering can be provided. After 6 months, we'd be happy to provide a personalized reference letter
Organization category: Social services
Time it will take to contact applicants - 1-6 days
This position would be great for - Young Adults (19-24); Seniors (65+); New Canadians
Vulnerable sector check required: Yes
Police record check required: Yes