Board Member, Board of Directors
Organization: Dress for Success Ottawa
Commitment: Ongoing (more than a year)
Availability: Flexible; Evenings
Language Preference: Bilingual
Number of Positions Available: 3
Deadline: Apr 30, 2021
DescriptionDress for Success Ottawa is currently accepting applications for positions on its Board of Directors.
Dress for Success Ottawa empowers women to achieve economic independence by providing a network of support, professional attire, and development tools to help women thrive in work and in life. Since opening our doors in January 2011, Dress for Success Ottawa has supported several thousand women in the National Capital Region across various streams of employment readiness and job retention programming. Dress for Success Ottawa suits women from the inside out.
If you’re passionate about empowering women and achieving gender equality in the workforce, this position on our volunteer Board of Directors might be the right fit for you.
The nominations process aims to achieve a Board membership that is diverse and reflects the women and community we serve. An inclusive Board with a broad range of qualifications, lived experiences, and perspectives is one that is best positioned to advance Dress for Success Ottawa’s mission.
In 2021 we are especially (but not exclusively) seeking those with experience in relationship building, public relations/communications, human resources, and fundraising. Governance skills remain important as well.
EXPECTATIONS OF THE BOARD
The board is responsible for:
● Actively participating in the overall strategic planning process and assisting in the implementation and monitoring of the plan’s goals.
● Protecting the assets of the organization and providing proper financial oversight through the approval and monitoring of annual budget and by ensuring that proper financial controls are in place.
● Ensuring adequate financial resources through fundraising and resource development.
● Enhancing the organization’s public standing by clearly articulating and supporting the organization’s mission, accomplishments, and goals to the public and garner support from the community.
● Ensuring the legal and ethical integrity of the organization by monitoring adherence to legal standards and ethical norms.
● Assessing and addressing risks to the organization and ensuring timely and proper responses.
● Selecting and evaluating the performance of the Executive Director.
EXPECTATIONS OF INDIVIDUAL BOARD MEMBERS
Each individual board member is expected to:
● Know the Dress for Success mission, policies, programs, and needs.
● Serve as an active advocate and ambassador for the organization and leverage connections, networks, and resources to develop collective action to fully achieve Dress for Success’ mission.
● Prepare for, attend, and conscientiously participate in board meetings (the board meets 6-8 times per year).
● Give a meaningful yearly personal financial donation.
● Commit to a three-year term, with possibility of renewal for two additional terms of three years.
To learn more about Dress for Success Ottawa and view our current Board of Directors, visit the Dress for Success National Capital region website at: https://ottawa.dressforsuccess.org
If you are interested, please send your CV and a cover letter that demonstrates why you would be a good fit before April 30, 2021 by email to:
Jacqueline Gauthier, Board President @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Good for people interested in: Governance (Boards, Committees)
You will be working with: Aboriginals (First Nation, Metis, Inuit); Visible Minorities or New Canadians; Disadvantaged; LGBTTQ; People with disabilities or medical conditions; Women; Youth (19-24 years); Homeless
Organization category: Social services
Time it will take to contact applicants - 1-6 days
This position would be great for - Seniors (65+); Persons with a disability; New Canadians
This position can accommodate persons with a disability: Yes