BrainSTRONG Network of Canada is looking for Founding Board Members
Organization: BrainStrong Network of Canada
Commitment: Ongoing (more than a year)
Language Preference: English
Number of Positions Available: 6
Deadline: Jun 30, 2021
DescriptionBrainSTRONG Board of Directors
Call for Nominations
BrainSTRONG is a budding national Not-for-Profit organization that seeks to add value in the brain trauma space, a field that is evolving significantly as science teaches us more about how the brain, the mind, and the body work together to overcome trauma. There are opportunities to better understand the invisible realities and impacts of brain trauma, to help survivors and caregivers navigate challenges, and educate society regarding accommodation.
BrainSTRONG will be governed by a Board of Directors, and it is currently looking for energetic and experienced professionals to come together as the founding members of its Board.
Please contact Catherine Côté at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information as BrainSTRONG has yet to establish its online presence.
Role & Responsibilities
The Board's role is to:
• assist BrainSTRONG establish and fulfill its mission and vision
• establish and champion the organization’s values
• establish and maintain the foundation’ sustainable operating model
• identify and maintain strategic partnerships
• define and monitor the foundation’s strategic plan
• provide financial oversight and accountability
• maintain effective governance of the organization
• ensure the legal and ethical integrity and accountability of the organization.
General Expectations of Board members:
• regularly participate in board meetings, committees, and planning sessions
• commit to a leadership role in board, committee, fundraising or for special events
• stay informed about board and committee issues and prepare for meetings
• get to know other board members and build collegial working relationships that contribute to consensus
• be an active participant in the board evaluation and planning efforts
• disclose all material facts and relationships where there may be a conflict of interest
BrainSTRONG’s Nominating Committee is currently looking for candidates with the following skills and backgrounds:
• front line brain trauma experience (survivors, family members and caregivers)
• brain trauma experience (practice and research)
• business acumen (e.g., strategic planning, risk management)
• relationship building, marketing, and fundraising
• leadership experience
Along with one or more of the following:
• business and/or private sector experience
• social enterprise and entrepreneurship
• strong commitment to volunteerism
• outreach and/or public speaking experience
• ability to work as a team member
• respect for diversity
• strong professional network
Candidates with other applicable experience or strengths are also encouraged to apply. The time commitment is a minimum of 5 hours per month, with overall commitment dependent on levels of activity. Meeting are held virtually.
BrainSTRONG is dedicated to creating a Board of Directors that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates across Canada.
Commitment: On-going/ minimum 2 years
Application Deadline: 30 June 2021
1. Please complete candidate information form
2. Please send a short cover letter clearly demonstrating how you meet the criteria outlined above, along with a resume to email@example.com
Good for people interested in: Disability Support; Health Care; Legal/Advocacy; Governance (Boards, Committees)
You will be working with: Aboriginals (First Nation, Metis, Inuit); Visible Minorities or New Canadians; Disadvantaged; LGBTTQ; Men; People with disabilities or medical conditions; Seniors; Women; Youth (19-24 years); Athletes
How will this volunteer opportunity benefit you?
Opportunity to be a passionate advocate for those with brain trauma. Use their skills, experiences and knowledge in building a strong network for those with brain trauma. Gain board experience and experience in developing a board.
How will the organization benefit?
We will get targeted expertise, knowledge, experience and skills from a variety of disciplines which we require to build a diverse Board of Directors.
Organization category: Health
Time it will take to contact applicants - 1-6 days
This position would be great for - Young Adults (19-24); Seniors (65+); Persons with a disability; New Canadians
This position can accommodate persons with a disability: Yes