Organization: Onyx Community Services
Commitment: Long term (6 months to a year)
Availability: Evenings; Days
Language Preference: English
Number of Positions Available: 3
Location: Ottawa - East
Deadline: Sep 30, 2021
DescriptionThe role of the administrative assistant is to ensure efficient and timely operations of the office so as to support and enhance the work of the organization. The administrative assistant will work under the supervision of the executive director or the designated supervisors.
• Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures.
• Excellent keyboarding, proof reading and data entry skills with emphasis on accuracy.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and ability to develop solid professional internal and external work relationships with various levels of staff, other organizations and the public. Ability to write in a clear, concise and legible manner.
• Good organizational skills with the ability to multitask and work in a high pressure, high volume team oriented environment with minimal supervision, working independently and cooperatively with other members of the staff.
• Ability to identify and analyze problems with inefficiencies and develop effective solutions and solve problems.
• Proven ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion and tact - you will be working with vulnerable populations
- Must be comfortable dealing with harm reduction kits and people dealing with mental health issues
Hours of Work
• 10:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday to Friday and/or weekends 12-5.
The ideal person would be able to commit for 3-6 months, 1-2 shifts a week, and is able to commute to the Vanier area (OC Transpo Route #12 and #19 nearby)
Good for people interested in: Administration/Office; Legal/Advocacy
You will be working with: Aboriginals (First Nation, Metis, Inuit); Visible Minorities or New Canadians; Disadvantaged; LGBTTQ; Men; People with disabilities or medical conditions; Seniors; Women; Youth (19-24 years); Homeless
How will this volunteer opportunity benefit you?
This will give you an opportunity to maintain current skills. You will receive after 300 hrs, a letter of good standing and a reference letter for employment.
How will the organization benefit?
This will benefit the Onyx Community Services by contributing to the community of Vanier. It will help us stay organized and ready to serve our community.
Organization category: Social services
Time it will take to contact applicants - 1-6 days
Public transportation available: Yes
Suitable for community service hours: Yes
Police record check required: Yes