Organization: Abbeyfield Houses Society - Ottawa
Commitment: Long term (6 months to a year)
Language Preference: English
Number of Positions Available: 2
Location: Ottawa - Central
Deadline: Oct 15, 2021
DescriptionAre you a student, retired or working individual looking for an exciting volunteer opportunity?
Abbeyfield Houses Society of Ottawa is a not-for-profit seniors’ residence affiliated with Abbeyfield International, with 1,100 houses in 25 countries worldwide.
We are looking for a Handyperson to support the Director of Property Management in maintaining the physical appearance and operations of the House.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Director of Property Management in conducting House inspections
-Support the Director of Property Management in seeking out vendors and obtaining quotes for various projects
- Support the Director of Property Management in managing volunteer handy people and gardeners including maintaining a list of small repairs and tasks
- Act as a first point of contact for emergencies (after 911) in the absence of the Property Manager
- Complete small repairs or coordinate the completion of small repairs as required
- Support the Property Manager in the development and implementation of a regular maintenance schedule for all major appliances and equipment
- Ensure tools and equipment are stored appropriately (protecting against theft, injury, unnecessary wear)
- Seasonal activities as may be required, placement of winter mat), salt/gravel on walk ways
- Complete minor house renovations including painting and minor construction projects, hanging curtains, pictures and moving furniture
- Assist with general maintenance of the house including changing lightbulbs, checking smoke detectors, etc.
Knowledge of property management and maintenance
Good communications skills
Good for people interested in: Outdoor activities (landscaping/gardening); Skilled Trades
You will be working with: Seniors
Organization category: Development and housing
Time it will take to contact applicants - 1-6 days
This position would be great for - New Canadians; Seniors (65+)
Suitable for community service hours: Yes
Vulnerable sector check required: Yes