Fund Development Coordinator
Organization: Shelter Movers Ottawa
Commitment: Long term (6 months to a year)
Availability: Weekends; Flexible; Evenings; Days
Language Preference: English
Number of Positions Available: 3
Deadline: Mar 4, 2021
DescriptionShelter Movers provides moving and storage services at no cost to women and
children fleeing abuse. We are the only service of this kind in Canada, and our
volunteers are no less exceptional. Every year, in collaboration with community
partners, our volunteer teams contribute over 15,000 hours to support people
transitioning to lives free of violence and abuse.
Shelter Movers continues to operate and provide our unique moving and storage
services, notwithstanding the COVID-19 pandemic. We have implemented
stringent safety measures to protect our volunteers, staff, partners and clients.
While we all do our part to slow the spread of COVID-19 by staying home, we
must remember that home isn’t always a safe place for many. Those
experiencing abuse are enduring more time in isolation with their abuser.
Additionally, job loss and financial insecurity have also become more prevalent
during the pandemic, statistically leading to an increase in gender-based
violence. Shelter Movers has experienced a 30% increase in the demands for our
services since the beginning of the pandemic.
The Fund Development Coordinator, reporting to the Fund Development Manager, will have an integral role in the Shelter Movers Ottawa. The main duties include sourcing and securing various fundraising and sponsorships.
Execute fundraising and sponsorship strategy as dictated by the Fund Development Manager
- Identify and steward major gift donors and manage portfolio of current donors and prospects;
- Support the continued growth of Shelter Movers’ monthly giving program;
- Cultivate and sustain relationships with individuals, corporations,
foundations, and government agencies;
- Manage in-kind donations from local community partners, including
tracking promised visibility;
- Implement an appropriate recognition program for donors and partners
Previous fundraising and event planning experience is an asset, but not mandatory;
- Innovation and creativity are highly valued in this position, as well as the ability to work in a virtual space and recommend alternatives to traditional styles of fundraising;
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Dynamic, outgoing personality with sound judgment and the ability to use discretion;
- Capability to work autonomously when required, and also as a member of a team in a fast-paced environment, while balancing competing priorities;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including proficiency in public speaking and a high comfort level in presenting;
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask and work under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Flexible, results and detail oriented;
- Experience in the nonprofit sector considered an asset; must be sensitive and knowledgeable of issues surrounding gender-based violence
Shelter Movers volunteers must be at least 18 years of age, complete an interview process, sign a confidentiality agreement and obtain a police reference check. Volunteers will be expected to and attend a Trauma-Informed Care Orientation session.
How to Apply:
If interested, please send a brief description outlining your interest as well as your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Good for people interested in: Communications and Marketing; Accounting and finance; Fundraising; COVID-19 Virtual Volunteering
You will be working with: Aboriginals (First Nation, Metis, Inuit); Visible Minorities or New Canadians; Disadvantaged; LGBTTQ; People with disabilities or medical conditions; Youth (16-18 years); Youth (11-15 years); Children (0-10 years); Seniors; Women; Youth (19-24 years); Homeless
How will this volunteer opportunity benefit you?
You’ll have the opportunity to make a positive impact by helping women and families transition to a life free from violence and abuse;
- Gain experience in fund development, with additional coaching and
- Receive training in preparation for your role, and have access to ongoing training opportunities;
- Work with an amazing team of passionate volunteers and supporters!
- After 3 months of satisfactory service, we can provide confirmation of
volunteer service. After 6 months, we can provide a personalized
Organization category: Social services
Time it will take to contact applicants - 1-6 days
This position would be great for - Young Adults (19-24); Seniors (65+); Persons with a disability; New Canadians
Police record check required: Yes