School Breakfast Program - Breakfast Prep Volunteer (CEPEO School Board)
Organization: Ottawa Network for Education - Ottawa Volunteers in Education
Commitment: Long term (6 months to a year)
Language Preference: Bilingual
Number of Positions Available: 5
Deadline: Jun 25, 2021
DescriptionThe Ottawa Network for Education School Breakfast Program (ONFE SBP) strives to ensure that children in our community have access to healthy breakfasts and snacks in a safe environment, and that they are given equal opportunity to succeed at school. Our Program adheres to provincial nutrition guidelines and provides students with nutritious foods such as, fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grains, and dairy products. We work in partnership with Ottawa’s four school boards to support more than 13,500 Ottawa children in over 190 schools each school day— that’s almost 2,500,000 meals each school year!
ONFE SBP relies on volunteers to support our schools and student nutrition. Due to Covid-19, our programs have faced additional challenges, and new policies have increased school staff’s workload. ONFE is currently seeking 5 volunteers to support ONFE School Breakfast Programs in Conseil des écoles publiques de l'Est de l'Ontario (CEPEO) high schools across Ottawa.
Volunteer tasks will include:
• Assist the school breakfast program coordinator with food and bin preparation (washing, cutting, portioning food, etc.)
• Clean-up in prep area
*Please note, tasks can vary and are based on school needs. This role is to support schools with food and bin preparation only. Receiving, lifting, and organizing school’s food purchases and orders is not a requirement.
• Downtown Ottawa
• Blackburn Hamlet
• Functional French language skills
• Position is a 6-month commitment (January-June 2020) at 1.5 - 2 hours per week. Volunteer needs to be available in the mornings.
• Able to stand for the duration of the volunteer shift
• Lifting of empty/prepared program bins may be required depending on the school's program model
• Level 3 Police Records Check, which includes a Vulnerable Sector Check (As of October 27, 2020 PRC fees will be waived for volunteers who provide a letter from the sponsoring agency. ONFE will provide all volunteers with the required letter.)
• Volunteers for the ONFE School Breakfast program cannot be actively volunteering elsewhere while volunteering at CEPEO. Volunteers will be required to sign a joint waiver for CEPEO and ONFE.
Covid-19 Requirements at CEPEO schools:
• PPE is required to be worn during the duration of your volunteer shift
o This includes a mask and a visor
o CEPEO schools will provide volunteers with required PPE
• School specific Covid-19 training and School Board Procedures will be provided to volunteers
• Volunteers are required complete CEPEO’s self-assessment check before their scheduled shift. Laurence Paradis will provide you to the link to the self-assessment test. If you are feeling unwell do not go in for your scheduled shift and contact the school about your absence ASAP.
• Follow all CEPEO Covid-19 health and safety guidelines
• Volunteers are not allowed to have contact with students and will be physically separated from students during their volunteer shift
If there is a CEPEO high school in your neighbourhood or you’re willing to travel, we would love to have you join our ONFE School Breakfast Program volunteer team!
Good for people interested in: Food preparation and services; COVID-19 High Touch Volunteering
You will be working with: Aboriginals (First Nation, Metis, Inuit); Visible Minorities or New Canadians; Disadvantaged; LGBTTQ; Men; People with disabilities or medical conditions; Youth (16-18 years); Youth (11-15 years); Children (0-10 years); Women; Youth (19-24 years); Athletes
Organization category: Education and research
Time it will take to contact applicants - 1-6 days
This position would be great for - Young Adults (19-24); Seniors (65+); New Canadians
Public transportation available: Yes
Vulnerable sector check required: Yes
Police record check required: Yes