Senior Writer for Marketing and Communications
Organization: Shelter Movers
Commitment: Long term (6 months to a year)
Availability: Weekends; Flexible; Evenings; Days
Language Preference: English
Number of Positions Available: 1
Deadline: Jul 1, 2021
DescriptionAbout Shelter Movers:
Shelter Movers provides moving and storage services at no cost to women and children fleeing abuse. We are the only organization of our kind in Canada, and our volunteers are no less exceptional. Every year, in collaboration with community partners, our volunteer teams contribute over 15,000 hours to support people transitioning to lives free of violence and abuse. Our Ottawa chapter has been operational since 2017 and has completed over 600 moves since opening. We are growing and looking to add caring and compassionate people to our volunteer team.
We are looking for a Senior Copywriter to lead our creative marketing content efforts. The Senior Copywriter responsibilities include writing original content, copy and concepts across a wide range of mediums. This includes blog posts, social media, fundraising campaigns and email marketing. Other tasks will include assigning and assisting Junior Copywriters with their copy and articles.
To be a successful candidate for this volunteer opportunity you should be a champion of Gender Based Violence Issues. Reporting to our Marketing and Communications Manager the Senior Copywriter is ideally a polished communicator with copywriting experience. If you have experience creating web content, we’d like to meet you. Along with your application, please submit samples of your work.
- Research industry-related topics and identify gaps in our content
- Write original copy for social media posts, blog posts, LinkedIn posts and fundraising campaigns
- Liaise with graphic designers to enrich text with visual aids
- Generate new, creative concepts
- Ensure brand consistency throughout various marketing projects
- Directly report to Marketing and Communications Manager
- Keep up to date with industry developments.
- A passion for Gender Based Violence issues
- An intersectional and anti-oppression standpoint
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with a keen eye for detail
- An ability to write creative copy both for large pieces of content (e.g. blog posts) and smaller texts (e.g. social media posts)
- Solid time-management skills
- Basic keyword search knowledge
- Exceptional writing skills, with the ability to write in a range of voices and styles for diverse channels and audiences.
- Ideal candidates will have experience in: LinkedIn Post writing, Ghostwriting, Blog writing and Research Skills
- Work experience as a Senior Copywriter, Product Copywriter, or similar role
- Experience with project management tools (such as Trello)
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university program with an emphasis on English, communications, advertising, journalism or other related field.
We are looking for a long term commitment. An estimated 3 to 6 hours a week, dependent on responsibilities and proximity to larger campaigns.
Shelter Movers volunteers must be at least 18 years of age, complete an interview process, attend an orientation for new volunteers, in addition to signing a confidentiality agreement and obtaining a criminal record check.
If everything above sounds like you or you are looking to break into this industry let us know! If this role interests you and you feel like you would be a good fit for Shelter Movers Ottawa, please send both your resume and portfolio/ sample of your work to email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from you!
Good for people interested in: Social Media; Writing; Emergency Services; COVID-19 Virtual Volunteering
You will be working with: Aboriginals (First Nation, Metis, Inuit); Visible Minorities or New Canadians; Disadvantaged; LGBTTQ; People with disabilities or medical conditions; Youth (16-18 years); Youth (11-15 years); Children (0-10 years); Seniors; Women; Youth (19-24 years); Homeless
How will this volunteer opportunity benefit you?
As a volunteer with Shelter Movers:
You’ll have the opportunity to make a positive impact on helping women and families transition away from violence and abuse.
You’ll gain experience in fundraising and event planning, with coaching and support from an experienced professional in the field.
You’ll receive training in preparation for your role, and have access to ongoing training opportunities.
You’ll work with a great team of passionate volunteers and supporters.
After 3 months of satisfactory service, a confirmation of volunteering can be provided.
After 6 months, we'd be happy to provide a personalized reference letter.
Organization category: Social services
Time it will take to contact applicants - 1-6 days
This position would be great for - Young Adults (19-24); Seniors (65+); Persons with a disability
Police record check required: Yes