SCREEN Volunteer - Chronic Disease Risk Assessment Program
Organisme: Centretown Community Health Centre
Engagement: Long terme entre 6 mois et un an
Disponibilité: Fins de semaine; Flexible; Journées; Soirées
Langue préférée: Bilingue
Nombre de postes disponibles: 5
Date limite: 6 avr 2018
DescriptionDO YOU SPEAK Chinese, French, Somali, Nepali, Punjabi? if SO, WE NEED YOUR HELP!
In partnership with community-based organizations, chronic disease partners, community leaders, and others, SCREEN provides chronic disease risk assessment screening, education about the Canadian health care system, and referrals for people who are at high risk of chronic disease. SCREEN also provides training for health care providers about culturally sensitive care. For more information about SCREEN, please visit www.champlainscreen.ca
A team of volunteers is needed to support SCREEN’s community organizing, network building and chronic disease screening work. The ideal candidates will be able to commit to approximately 40 hours of work, spread over a year period. The minimum commitment is 3-4 events per month over the course of the year. There is flexibility in the dates and times of the work.
The position is designed to offer hands-on experience in the diverse field of community health. The role will offer volunteers an opportunity to try out new work roles and interact with people from a diversity of cultures and professions in different community locations.
• The Core volunteers will assist SCREEN at the screening events in one or more of following tasks:
o Help clients complete the CANRISK questionnaire
o Refer high risk clients to appropriate services and program (forms and resources provided)
o Workshop delivery (volunteers with a medical background, PowerPoint slides provided)
o Hand out and collect the evaluation forms
o Prepare and serve refreshments
o Set up and cleanup of the event venue
• Take a leadership role in assigned station(s) and ensure the quality and accuracy at screening events.
• Assist in the promotion of events and the SCREEN Program among various communities by recruiting event volunteers and distributing brochures and flyers.
• Volunteers can also sign up to attend various community events such as Community Heath Fair and community celebrations to promote SCREEN
• Volunteers may be asked to be involved in the health care provider training about culturally sensitive care if required
• Demonstrated experience in community development and engagement.
• Experience working with high risk and immigrant populations.
• Experience in delivering presentation/workshop to multicultural communities
• Knowledge and experience working in community settings
• Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
• Attend the volunteer trainings
• English, written and spoken
• The ability to communicate in one of these languages (Chinese, French, Somali, Nepali, Punjabi) a definite asset.
Bon pour les personnes intéressées par: Soins de santé
Vous allez travailler avec: Minorités visibles ou Nouveaux Canadiens; Aînés
Catégorie de l'organisme: Santé
Bénévoles - considérations
Le temps qu'il faudra pour communiquer avec les candidats - 2-3 semaines
Cette position serait formidable pour - Des nouveaux Canadiens